September 14, 2013

Week 3 (28 August 2013)

It has been an eventful week as always. 

Sister S and I are really getting the hang of things and are able to get our message out quickly and invite the spirit more abundantly even though we are lacking the language skills we want.  The language is coming along though.  I am going on a English fast for a few days this upcoming week, so we will see how that goes.  Our investigators are not "real," they are our instructors pretending to be investigators, but we treat them as if they were truly investigating the Church.  W was able to make and keep some difficult commitments this week including preparing for baptism and living the Word of Wisdom.  He always has so many questions and is progressing so much each day.  F on the other hand is not at all interested in our message and we still have to figure out what she needs in her life and how we can apply the immense blessings of the gospel to her at a more meaningful and personal level.  She isn't as quiet as before and is beginning to keep her commitments and see us more as friends instead of teachers.  Needless to say, I love them both and cannot wait to get into the compo (field) and serve God's children and help them come unto Christ and change their lives in order to return to Him one day.

I heard a statistic this week (which could be a little off because the man who told me was speaking Portuguese really quickly, but I think this is what he said... haha).  There are now 99 visa waiters in the states and guess how many got their visas this week... 2.  Crazy huh!?

During personal study this week I have been studying and trying to gain more insight into the things in my patriarchal blessing.  One of the most powerful realization I had this week was about the power and importance of the Priesthood.  Dallin and Dad, you hold the power of God, what a privilege, and because of the Restoration that power is on the earth again for everyone to utilize if they have faith and believe in God's limitless power.  I love this Church and am so glad to be serving a mission and through the power of the Priesthood I have been set apart as a representative of Jesus Christ to serve the people of Brazil.  Man, I am so happy!  :)

Meals were pretty much the same this week, but something spectacular happened...WE HAD DORITOS WITH DINNER!  Best day ever.  Seriously though, Americans, take advantage of Wal-mart and HEB... haha.

This morning we had the privilege of going to the Sao Paulo temple.  It is my second favorite temple for sure.  The inside is just so beautiful.  I love the temple.

We are getting four new missionaries in our district from Provo today.  Two elders and two sisters.  I am way excited and a little anxious to see how the dynamics of the district change with newbies here.  It should be fun!

Things I would have done before coming on my mission...
-Studied Portuguese grammar (I am now wishing I paid more attention in 7th and 8th grade Spanish class, conjugations are definitely not coming easily), but other than that I love Portuguese!  A LOT!!  It is a beautiful language.
-Read the entire missionary handbook once a week before the mission.  It is your life line, and it is good to know the rules before you get here so that strict obedience comes naturally.
-Stop saying slang now.  Anything you would not feel comfortable saying in front of the Savior or President Monson should not be in your vocabulary.
-Do something good constantly.  It is amazing how many things you can accomplish in one day when you aren't watching TV or surfing facebook... Make time for things.  Set goals.  Accomplish them. 
You will feel much more prepared as you use your time wisely.  The section in Preach My Gospel about this is super helpful.

I love you all and wish you the best of luck in everything you are doing.  Familia, know that I pray for you every night, at every meal, before bed, during personal and companion study, and any other time I pray.  I love you all sooo soo much and want you to succeed.  You are all wonderful!

Love,
Sister Phelps

No comments:

Post a Comment