September 30, 2013

Week 8 (30 September 2013)

This week was great!  We had so many miracles happen in Panambi. 

First and foremost we have an investigator that has committed to baptism on the 12th.  I am so excited for her and hope that it all goes through smoothly.  She is a wonderful woman and has such a beautiful family.  Hopefully they will all become as excited about the church as she is.  We met her by knocking on the house where she works.  After our first lesson she told us that she had never let anyone in the house while she was working, but she felt something when we asked to come in and now she has found the Gospel.  God works miracles through missionaries. I love it!

Our other progressing investigator is a mother as well.  We ran into her when we were crunched for time and asked if we could share a message with her another day.  She looked at us like we were crazy and told us that we should come in now instead of later.  As we taught her the Spirit spoke to each of us and she told us that she knew our message was true from the moment she saw us.  Our second lesson with her was about the First Vision.  It was my first time to give this lesson all the way through, in Portuguese, to a real investigator, but I tried my best and the Spirit did the rest.  I will never forget that moment.  It is times like that which truly remind me why I am in a foreign country teaching people about the church of Jesus Christ.

I know that this church is true.  This is the church that Jesus Christ established while He was here on the earth and was restored through Joseph Smith.  We have a prophet today, Thomas S. Monson, we have Twelve Apostles, and the Priesthood!!  Don't be afraid to share it with others.  Oh and this week we have the great opportunity to hear from the prophet of God, I am so excited for General Conference and the wonderful reminders, lessons, and guidance we will receive through the mouth of servants of God.

I am so blessed to have this opportunity to be a missionary and God is giving me wonderful tender mercies.

So, a lot of the people in our branch and a few of our investigators are interested in learning English, so Sister G~ (the other American sister in Panambi) and I will probably start that up soon.  The problem is that I feel so unprepared to teach people English.  haha.  I love the people though and the culture of Rio Grande do Sul.  They have a custom here where they drink this concoction of greens (which taste a lot like grass) and hot water.  I am not a big fan, but every single person here drinks it at all times of the day.  Good thing it is not against the Word of Wisdom, or we wouldn't have any converts here.

The language is getting better, but my brain is starting to get very confused because it wants to think in English and Portuguese so there are times when nothing, and I mean nothing, is going on in my head.  It is really weird, but I am hopeful that it is a sign.  The Portuguese will come!

Please let me know what else y'all want to hear about.  It is hard to remember sometimes.  I love you all!  You are in my prayers!

Love,
Sister Phelps

No comments:

Post a Comment